The Least of These

Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?
The King will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matthew 25:37-40

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Learning about Prayer

Mike Curry, who has been partnering with GFE in Kenya for many years, shared the following words of wisdom at our team meetings last November.  “You cannot fix Kenya. It is not about you and it is not up to you.”  It is in my nature to “fix” to study and analyze and find solutions.  I knew this was going to be a difficult lesson for me but also a valuable one.

Several times during our trip I found myself saying, apologetically, that I would be praying for someone’s needs.  As if this was somehow a consolation prize.  “I’m sorry I can’t provide you with the medicine you need but I will pray for you.”  “I’m sorry I can’t provide you with Bibles for your church but I will pray for you.”

The truth is God’s ways are not my ways.  He is able to do abundantly more than I can imagine.  He also knows the plans He has for me and everyone else.  I don’t.  If I had been around in the days of Joseph I would have organized a fundraiser, gone to Egypt and purchased Joseph back from Potiphar, and returned him safely to Jacob.  Or at least that would have been my plan.  My plan would have eased Joseph’s difficulty and heartache.  My plan would have turned Jacob’s morning into dancing for a while.  But my plan also would have resulted in the fledgling nation of Israel either dying of starvation in the coming famine or intermarrying with the surrounding pagan people.  Either way, Joseph would still have been dealing with ten jealous brothers who had not yet had time or reason to come to repentance. 

I don’t know God’s plans and that is why prayer should be my first response and not what I turn to when I can’t do anything else.

I have committed to pray for the teaching staff at the feeding stations we visited.  I asked them for a list of their needs so I could pray more specifically.  I was very careful to explain that I could not provide but I would pray and I would ask my friends to pray.  I hope God will give me the privilege of gathering some of the supplies to send back with a team next year.  But right now the Lord is teaching me to spend more time praying and less time “fixing”.   Do you suppose they would be encouraged to know that God is using their needs to teach an American a lesson on prayer? (In addition to God’s purpose in their lives.)

If you would like to join me in praying for the needs of the three feeding stations I will be posting more about each one in the next few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment