The Least of These

Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?
The King will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matthew 25:37-40

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Lesson on Faith

It would be easy to feel sorry for the people of Kenya.  I do believe we should have compassion and concern for the difficulties they face.   We should pray for those in Kenya who are still lost and for our brothers and sisters in Christ who are trying to take them the good news of Jesus.  I believe that when God gives us the opportunity we should come alongside them and join them in the kingdom work they are doing.  I quickly learned, however, that while most believers in Kenya do not have the abundant material comforts I have, they have riches I do not possess.  They have a proven faith, which is described in 1 Peter 1:7 as being of greater worth than gold.  The men and women we met posses the mature, complete faith described in James 1:2-4 which says “the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”   It is a faith built on nights spent praying for the healing of a child’s fever or a father’s swollen body because medical attention was not an option.  I pray for healing but in the back of my mind I know that if things get too bad I can take my kids to the doctor.  It is a faith built on days spent spooning out food for a long line of children and praying there will be something to put in the last child’s bowl.  Theirs is a faith that makes what I call faith seem like only a child’s game. 

During the Pastors’ Conference, Mike Curry made the statement that character is not built when we are comfortable.  The same is true of faith.  It can only be forged in a refining fire and the refining fire is not comfortable.  The Lord has brought me through a few seasons of refinement.  To His glory I can say that each time I have emerged with a stronger faith.  But I am not yet “complete” in the way the book of James describes.  

I am not strong enough to choose the refining fire. Maybe my brothers and sisters in Kenya would not choose it either if they had a choice.  The end result, however, is inspiring.

1 comment: