The Least of These

Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?
The King will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matthew 25:37-40

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

On the Job Training

Maybe you have thought about going on a mission trip but you feel like you don’t have anything to offer.  I’ll let you in on a secret.  Your going on a mission trip is not really about what you can do.  It is about training you, teaching you, growing you closer to Jesus and a little more like Him.  I am NOT saying that everyone must go on a mission trip to grow spiritually.  However, if God has laid foreign missions on your heart, then He is calling you to the classroom – the classroom called Mission Field.   

Several people told me that my time in Kenya would be more of a blessing to me than it would be to the people I served.  I didn’t really like the sound of that.  I didn’t like the idea of spending large amounts of my money (and other people’s) so I could be blessed.   I wanted to be used by the Lord, to serve others, to bless others.  Maybe you can relate.  Before God can use me or you, however, He must mold us into something useful. 

As I was preparing for this trip, God was teaching me. While I was in Kenya, God was teaching me.  And since I have returned home, God is continuing to use this mission trip to draw me closer to Jesus.   Whatever His plans for me, I know I am more useful to Him now.  So don’t think of it as a mission trip.  Think of it as on the job training. 

Thankfully God is also the Master Multi-tasker so while He is teaching you He will use your willingness to serve as a means to bless others. 


Can you blow bubbles,
  
or pass out stickers,

or oversee the use of
crayons and glue? 
  
Can you snap a picture
and show it to a child,



 
or sit and play beauty salon,

or draw a sunshine with
face paint,

or play airplane

or swing with a child?










Can you share something
you’ve learned with
a small group,



  





or serve a cup of porridge,

or help behind the scenes,












or a thousand other tiny things? If the answer to any of these is, “Yes”, then God can use you in the classroom called Mission Field.

No comments:

Post a Comment