The Least of These

Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?
The King will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matthew 25:37-40

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Vaccinations - Round 1

Michael and I went yesterday for our first round of vaccinations.  We each got 3 shots.  I will definitely have more compassion for my children the next time they get shots.  I say "first round" because we will each need 2 more doses of Hep B, as well as a Yellow Fever and Typhoid vaccinations. (Typhoid is a series of pills - not a shot.)  We may also need a Polio and MMR booster and there is a slight possibility that we will need a meningitis vaccine.   My arm hurts just thinking about it.

If you are planning a mission trip, the best source of info about which vaccines you need is the CDC website.  From the home page, click on Traveler's Health, then Destinations.  Countries are listed in alphabetical order.  You can also search for a list of Travel clinics in your area.  The problem will be finding a provider which also happens to be on your insurance.  Most local health departments also carry the vaccines.  However, our health department was not much cheaper than the out-of-network provider and our insurance would only reimburse for 60% of either.  (Compared to the price of a Dr.'s visit co-pay for an in-network provider.)  Thankfully, after some hunting I did find a provider who offered the vaccines and was on our insurance. 

The kids came with us and Abigail laughed the whole time I was getting my shots.  I guess, for an eight-year-old, it was a bit of justice.

Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment