The Least of These

Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?
The King will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matthew 25:37-40

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Trusting God When I Don't Understand

I have been planning to teach the story of Joseph to the kids when we visit the feeding stations in Kenya.  If you are familiar with the story of Joseph you will remember that God had a wonderful plan for his life.  He was to become second in command of all Egypt, administer God's plan to save the people of Egypt from famine and save his family from starvation as well.  Sounds great but to get there he had to first be sold into slavery and later imprisoned for a crime he did not commit.

While Joseph was going through these difficult circumstances I'm sure he felt confused.  Why was God allowing this to happen to him? But regardless of how he felt he trusted God.  He did not become bitter.  He continued to live his life to please the Lord.  Joseph is the personification of Romans 8:28 which says "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

So, teaching the story of Joseph, that was the plan.  I am sad to share that the new plan is to follow Joseph's example and trust God even when I don't understand.  We will not be going to Kenya in February.  This past Tuesday was the deadline for the church to purchase our airline tickets.  We have not even raised the $1400 each needed to cover the tickets much less the $2500 we each needed for the total cost of the trip.  We also received the news that we will not be eligible for a scholarship from the church.

I don't understand why God would give us a desire to go on a mission trip and then not provide the means to go.  I don't understand why God would give me a love and concern for a group of Kenyan teachers and then not allow me to go help them in some small way.  I don't understand why God would prompt us to step out in faith, to commit our time and our talents, and then seemingly not reward that faith.  But I know from the life of Joseph that things are not always as they seem.  I know that I can trust God even when I don't understand.  I know that He has a plan from my life and somehow this has a purpose in His plan. 

The church has assured us that the money we have raised so far can be applied to another trip.  I want to reassure those who have supported us financially that your money will still be used for missions.  We will either choose another country or work toward the Kenya 2012 trip.  Please pray that we will discern God's will for us.

Autumn

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Autumn. God had you move in this direction for a purpose! He is so faithful to finish what He starts. We will continue to pray that God will reveal His perfect plan to you! Your heart to honor God and serve His people is precious. He is working ... we'll just have to wait and see what He's up to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you both! I have been reminded recently that we often have faith, but are lacking in our TRUST in God. Your faith and trust inspires me! Proverbs 13.12 says, A hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when the desire (longing NIV) is fulfilled, it is a tree of life. I'm praying that your longing will be fulfilled and your faith be rewarded!

    ReplyDelete